Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A technique in which metals are welded using the heat generated by an electric arc.
- ‘The body is assembled using a variety of techniques, including arc welding, spot welding, and self-piercing rivets.’
- ‘Tungsten arc welding, using inert shielding gases, is hardly a new process.’
- ‘All the welders were engaged in shielded manual metal arc welding.’
- ‘Submerged arc welding would not normally be used on free-machining steels.’
- ‘The equipment required is identical to that required for shielded metal arc welding.’
- ‘Preheat requirements would be similar to gas metal arc welding.’
- ‘Nacey explains that in order for there to be fast, good, arc welding, it's necessary to have coordinated control of the wire feed speed, pulse waveform, and robot movement.’
- ‘For example, submerged arc welding is widely used for building up the surface of worn parts.’
- ‘For shielded metal arc welding, there are two basic types of electrode coatings.’
- ‘Traditional arc welding has the advantage of being inexpensive, but it's tricky to control.’
- ‘The welding processes most commonly employed today include gas welding, arc welding, and resistance welding.’
- ‘In some cases the gas tungsten arc welding or plasma hot wire process is used.’
- ‘Gas-metal arc welding is used to join titanium and titanium alloys more than 3 mm thick.’
- ‘The covered electrodes are the most popular type of filler metal used in arc welding.’
- ‘Shielded metal arc welding can be used to weld a wide range of thickness of copper alloys.’
- ‘This effect is minimized with gas metal arc welding because of the higher welding speed utilized.’
- ‘Traditional gas metal arc welding was a very time-consuming process and created quite a lot of repair and scrap.’
- ‘This same caution applies to automatic flux-cored arc welding or gas metal arc welding.’
- ‘This is compared to a current density of only 104 watts per square centimeter for arc welding.’
- ‘For instance, Trivedi points out that a towering metal sculpture designed by Pablo Picasso wouldn't be possible without arc welding.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.