Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A technique in which metals are welded using the heat generated by an electric arc.
- ‘Shielded metal arc welding can be used to weld a wide range of thickness of copper alloys.’
- ‘The covered electrodes are the most popular type of filler metal used in arc welding.’
- ‘This same caution applies to automatic flux-cored arc welding or gas metal arc welding.’
- ‘In some cases the gas tungsten arc welding or plasma hot wire process is used.’
- ‘This effect is minimized with gas metal arc welding because of the higher welding speed utilized.’
- ‘All the welders were engaged in shielded manual metal arc welding.’
- ‘Submerged arc welding would not normally be used on free-machining steels.’
- ‘This is compared to a current density of only 104 watts per square centimeter for arc welding.’
- ‘For instance, Trivedi points out that a towering metal sculpture designed by Pablo Picasso wouldn't be possible without arc welding.’
- ‘Gas-metal arc welding is used to join titanium and titanium alloys more than 3 mm thick.’
- ‘Traditional gas metal arc welding was a very time-consuming process and created quite a lot of repair and scrap.’
- ‘Tungsten arc welding, using inert shielding gases, is hardly a new process.’
- ‘Preheat requirements would be similar to gas metal arc welding.’
- ‘The body is assembled using a variety of techniques, including arc welding, spot welding, and self-piercing rivets.’
- ‘For example, submerged arc welding is widely used for building up the surface of worn parts.’
- ‘The equipment required is identical to that required for shielded metal arc welding.’
- ‘Nacey explains that in order for there to be fast, good, arc welding, it's necessary to have coordinated control of the wire feed speed, pulse waveform, and robot movement.’
- ‘For shielded metal arc welding, there are two basic types of electrode coatings.’
- ‘The welding processes most commonly employed today include gas welding, arc welding, and resistance welding.’
- ‘Traditional arc welding has the advantage of being inexpensive, but it's tricky to control.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.