Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An evergreen tree or shrub of a genus that includes the strawberry tree.See also trailing arbutus
- ‘Also known as arbutus or madrona, these large, red-barked trees cling to the cliffs above Puget Sound like well-muscled rock climbers.’
- ‘She locked the car and walked up the driveway, smiling at the rosebuds just beginning to bloom and the new green leaves on the two tall arbutus trees in front of the house.’
- ‘We ran to daycare together and pointed out all the arbutus trees along the way.’
- ‘But it seemed so distant from where he sat now, with mosquitoes biting at his wrists and a wilted arbutus on the sill.’
- ‘Deval's studio, a large, light room at the center of the house, looked out onto a walled garden, overhung with climbing roses and arbutus trees.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.