Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A day dedicated annually to public tree planting in the US, Australia, and other countries.
- ‘The Souvenir Booklet was prepared for the two hundredth Arbor Day in 1986.’
- ‘She plans to announce Global ReLeaf's next milestone on Arbor Day.’
- ‘In spite of their overwhelming vote for the violet on Arbor Day in 1897, their favorite flower wasn't officially adopted.’
- ‘This year, Arbor Day is observed on April 18 in Colorado, April 25 in Idaho, Montana, and Utah, and April 28 in Wyoming.’
- ‘On Arbor Day last year the Zoo Lake Users' Committee planted 60 indigenous trees - including wild olives and yellowwoods - in the park.’
- ‘On Arbor Day last year the Committee planted 60 indigenous trees - including wild olives and yellowwoods - in the park.’
- ‘On Arbor Day the zoo will hold informative programmes about trees, herbs and animals, which are open to the public.’
- ‘On Arbor Day schoolchildren planted trees to learn the value of reforestation.’
- ‘Four years ago we planted 17 000 trees at Orange Farm, and on Arbor Day last August we planted 4 000 trees in Soweto.’
- ‘Every year, we did exactly one thing; plant a tree on Arbor Day.’
- ‘On Arbor Day, when all eyes are on Omar, he eventually springs into action.’
- ‘In effect, by participating in the new Arbor Day and commemorating Sun Yat-sen, the people celebrated the nation under Chiang Kai-shek's rule and contributed, symbolically and materially, to the growth of its resources.’
- ‘The company had a surplus of cards left over from Arbor Day depicting a fir tree and decided to unload them by the box by simply printing Merry Christmas across the trees in red ink.’
- ‘Will the network be the official sponsor of Arbor Day?’
- ‘This was replaced in the 20th century with Arbor Day.’
- ‘They plant trees on Arbor Day and study rocks and crystals.’
- ‘We live in Florida, and bought a dogwood from the Extension service on Arbor Day three years ago.’
- ‘From Valentine's Day to Memorial Day, Arbor Day to Christmas Day, there was always a huge parade with festivities to go along.’
- ‘Arbor Day this year saw Buffalo City Mayor Sindisile Maclean transformed from a cutter of trees into a tree planter.’
- ‘When Arbor Day was introduced in schools the Mount Remarkable Board of Advice obtained several hundred trees from the Wirrabara forest for distribution to schools in and around Melrose.’
From Latin arbor tree.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.