Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The settling of a dispute by an arbitrator.
involvement, intercession, interceding, interposing, interpositionView synonyms
- ‘The report highlighted the huge number of qualified immigrants, i.e. 1.67 million, and 320,000 children eligible to study in Hong Kong due to their right of abode with reference to the arbitrament ruled by the Court of Final Appeal.’
- ‘It was the Conservative Party's honourable decision to put this matter to the arbitrament of the British people by way of referendum.’
- ‘It was further declared that all such questions were regarded as essentially and distinctively American and that the United States would always prefer to see such contentions adjusted through the arbitrament of an American, rather than a European power.’
- 1.1count noun An authoritative decision made by an arbitrator.
verdict, finding, ruling, recommendation, judgement, pronouncement, adjudgement, adjudication, arbitrationView synonyms
- ‘She declares, that she will not submit her claim to the arbitrament of human reason; she demands that it shall be at once conceded as an article of faith.’
- ‘This was the first case of any importance since the organization of the Federal Judiciary, in which the Supreme Court was called upon to exercise the high attribute with which the Constitution has invested it, of deciding questions relative to the powers of sovereign States, which in other countries can only be settled by the arbitraments of the sword.’
- ‘The common law was a little bit boring but the criminal law was fantastic, the professor told a few criminal cases and spoke about arbitraments.’
Late Middle English: from Old French arbitrement, from medieval Latin arbitramentum, from arbitrari (see arbitrate).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.