Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Give (someone or something) an Arab or Arabic character.‘an Arabized script’
- ‘The Arab invasion in the 7th century brought with it many Arab soldiers who settled there and who slowly Arabized the country and converted most of its inhabitants to Islam.’
- ‘For decades, the Party actively tried to Arabize much of the country.’
- ‘For the most part, however, the inhabitants of Palestine became Arabized, converting to Islam and speaking Arabic.’
- ‘Some claim that the term ‘Divan’ is an Arabized Persian word while AI-Kalkashandy argued that it is an Arabic word.’
- ‘Other parts of the country are also being Arabised, they say, but not to the same degree.’
- ‘If the government insisted on a unitary state that would Islamize and Arabize the entire country, the south would demand independence.’
- ‘The pressure to Arabize was resisted by Berber population groups, such as the Kabyles, the Chaouia, the Tuareg, and the Mzabt.’
- ‘‘Arabizing the Internet: IT technology, a future market for growth, ’.’
- ‘With their political dominance, the northerners have attempted to Arabize the country and to promote Arabic, at the expense of French, in the educational system.’
- ‘They thrived as a community of fully Arabised Jews who were productive citizens of the Cordoban caliphate.’
- ‘In its street forms, rai operates in France to keep a community of former North African residents connected; in Algeria it operated for a time as a Berber nationalist medium against the Islamicizing, Arabizing currents.’
- ‘Most Arabs in that area had been settled there in an attempt to Arabize the north.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.