One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to Arabia or its inhabitants.‘I stepped out of the plane and into the Arabian summer heat’
- ‘Then, the camera shows the baffled Englishman looking like a lost tourist in a busy Arabian street, shouting ‘Hello?’’
- ‘Southern Iraq was inhabited by Arabian tribesmen, some of whom recognized the Sesanian monarchy.’
- ‘Christiane, who is originally from Germany, is presently advertising to perform her Arabian belly dancing at Christmas parties and other functions.’
- ‘Although accurate, it does not provide alternative methodologies for studying pre-Islamic Arabian society.’
- ‘Amouage, an Arabian perfume manufacturer based in Oman used to provide perfume exclusively to royalty but has expanded its market around the world.’
1historical A native or inhabitant of Arabia.
- ‘The Arabians themselves were broken up into various clans who traced their lineage to Abraham and his son Ishmael.’
- ‘They even brought in some local Arabians in his honor.’
- ‘The Berbers put up resistance, particularly to the edict that both religious and political leaders could only be Arabian.’
- ‘They defined themselves by what they were not: not black, not girls, not Hispanic, not Arabian.’
- ‘It also affects people of Arabian, Greek, Maltese, Italian, Sardinian, Turkish and Indian ancestry.’
2An Arab horse.
- ‘Croft eased his own horse forward, looked back one last time at the Arabian who had stretched out its neck toward him as if sorry to see him leave.’
- ‘The contest, as portrayed in the film, is a centuries-old annual event restricted to the best Bedouin horsemen and the finest Arabians.’
- ‘The rider had led Zawahiri back to the horse, the Arabian snorting a few times at the stranger.’
- ‘I prefer Warmbloods and Arabians, if there are no Thoroughbreds, for their outstanding speed, nimble strides, and excellent carriage.’
- ‘When she began drinking the ice in the bottle shook, and the Arabian she was saddled on didn't seem to like the noise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.