Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The technique of painting with thin, transparent watercolours (as distinct from gouache)‘a cover illustrated in aquarelle’
- ‘In order to be topical, the exhibited painters were given the option of working with water-based techniques (acrylic, aquarelle, tempera, etc.).’
- ‘She dedicated several years looking for new techniques and studying aquarelle, which can have, for an artist, the same potential than the much more concrete oil technique.’
- ‘She studied Graphic Art in Munich and during a three year-stay in California continued work-study in aquarelle, printing and ceramics.’
- ‘She left Palestine in 1913 to study agriculture at Toulouse University, but on her way there she stopped for some months in Italy to study aquarelle.’
- ‘He studied aquarelle in London and went to Italy on Scholarship.’
- 1.1[count noun]A painting made using the technique of aquarelle.
- ‘It is indeed a masterpiece of delicate and polished orchestration and as he said, an aquarelle by a great landscape painter.’
- ‘Trembling in every limb, hot and cold by turns, we bid for and carried off the aquarelle.’
- ‘A long month later he returned my description and aquarelle of ‘rossica Nabokov’ with only two words scribbled on the back of my letter; ‘bucovinensis Hormuzaki.’’
- ‘In her tiny showing, her rose paintings seem as wispy as the aquarelles of some cooing Edwardian maiden lady celebrating the beauties of copse and dell.’
- ‘Along with teaching he made graphics and painted aquarelles of small-town views and landscapes.’
Mid 19th century: from French, from Italian acquarella watercolour, diminutive of acqua, from Latin aqua water.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.