Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular A system of aquaculture in which the waste produced by farmed fish or other aquatic creatures supplies the nutrients for plants grown hydroponically, which in turn purify the water.‘thanks to its automatic recirculating system, aquaponics does not require much monitoring or measuring’
- ‘"Since we don't want to give up the rich diet we now enjoy, technologies like aquaponics can fill a gap and help us to grow things such as pak choi, which would otherwise be imported."’
- ‘A new indoor fish-growing and aquaponics facility will enable inmates to grow fish for meals and produce fertilizer that will allow them to grow produce year-round.’
- ‘By using eco friendly methods such as aquaponics, hydroponics, aquagardening, aquaculture and fish farming the world should be able to eat green!’
- ‘Although aquaponics is seen primarily as providing a valuable twin crop for commercial hydroponic growers, Chapman says the dual system is also an opportunity for backyard hobbyists’
- ‘Aquaponics, or the cultivation of plants that grow on the surface of nutrient rich ponds, is the final stage in the system.’
- ‘Mr. Hughey is not just another proselytizer for aquaponics but, in his words, an ‘agri-missionary’ who hopes to help feed the developing world.’
- ‘Still in its infancy, aquaponics is following a steady upward growth curve.’
- ‘His zeal for aquaponics led him to the farming class.’
- ‘He tried to introduce aquaponics, a self-replenishing agricultural system, to rural villages.’
- ‘Described as a "fish farm-cum-kitchen garden," the Local River works using the principle of aquaponics, a system used in Far East fish-farms.’
- ‘We also chose to incorporate fish cultivation through the use of aquaponics, allowing us to farm protein and produce at the same time.’
1930s (in the sense ‘hydroponics’): blend of aqua- and hydroponics.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.