Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] A system of aquaculture in which the waste produced by farmed fish or other aquatic creatures supplies the nutrients for plants grown hydroponically, which in turn purify the water.‘thanks to its automatic recirculating system, aquaponics does not require much monitoring or measuring’
- ‘Still in its infancy, aquaponics is following a steady upward growth curve.’
- ‘We also chose to incorporate fish cultivation through the use of aquaponics, allowing us to farm protein and produce at the same time.’
- ‘Although aquaponics is seen primarily as providing a valuable twin crop for commercial hydroponic growers, Chapman says the dual system is also an opportunity for backyard hobbyists’
- ‘Mr. Hughey is not just another proselytizer for aquaponics but, in his words, an ‘agri-missionary’ who hopes to help feed the developing world.’
- ‘His zeal for aquaponics led him to the farming class.’
- ‘He tried to introduce aquaponics, a self-replenishing agricultural system, to rural villages.’
- ‘By using eco friendly methods such as aquaponics, hydroponics, aquagardening, aquaculture and fish farming the world should be able to eat green!’
- ‘Described as a "fish farm-cum-kitchen garden," the Local River works using the principle of aquaponics, a system used in Far East fish-farms.’
- ‘"Since we don't want to give up the rich diet we now enjoy, technologies like aquaponics can fill a gap and help us to grow things such as pak choi, which would otherwise be imported."’
- ‘A new indoor fish-growing and aquaponics facility will enable inmates to grow fish for meals and produce fertilizer that will allow them to grow produce year-round.’
- ‘Aquaponics, or the cultivation of plants that grow on the surface of nutrient rich ponds, is the final stage in the system.’
1930s (in the sense ‘hydroponics’): blend of aqua- and hydroponics.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.