One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of insects which includes the bristletails and springtails, having a primitive body form without wings and no distinct larval stage.Compare with Pterygota
- ‘So the seminar not only staged the latest scientific presentations on Apterygota but also offered the opportunity to collect some of the typically Dutch Collembola from the wild.’
- ‘In contrast to the Endopterygota, little is known about the arrangements of genes in many other lineages of insects, such as the Apterygota, the Palaeoptera, the hemipteroid assemblage, etc.’
- ‘The whole class Insecta is divided into two subclasses: the Apterygota, wingless insects; and the Pterygota, including the great bulk of insects, most of which have wings in the imago form.’
- ‘The sub class Apterygota is divided into two orders, the microcoryphia known as dragonflies, damselflies and the zygentoma known as silverfish, fibre brats.’
- ‘The three groups of immediate interest are sometimes collectively called the ‘Apterygota,’ the wingless insects.’
Modern Latin Apterygota, from Greek a- ‘not’ + pterugōtos ‘winged’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.