One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a method, description, etc.) giving only an approximation to something.‘a crudely approximative outline’
- ‘All tracks are named from derived Finnish words, but the pair offers for most an approximative English translation, as to entice the listener to enter their universe.’
- ‘It is a general feature of physical models that a good but approximative description of a phenomenon can be achieved with a less detailed model than a reconstruction or simulation of the same phenomenon.’
- ‘The heat due to charging-discharging cycles and the movement and accumulation of ions to the electrodes causes a mechanical alteration in volume (expansion + contraction) for an approximative value of 7-9% of the total volume.’
- ‘The approximative production sometimes lets this album down slightly, yet it also gives it an interesting unfinished feel and fragility.’
- ‘It can be used as an approximative measure of support for one or the other model and, therefore, allows estimating the evidence in favor of one or the other hypothesis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.