One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to show that something is almost, but not completely, accurate or exact; roughly.‘a journey of approximately two hours’
roughly, about, around, just about, round about, or so, or thereabouts, more or less, in the neighbourhood of, in the region of, in the area of, in the vicinity of, of the order of, something like, give or take, give or take a few, in round numbers, rounded down, rounded upView synonyms
- ‘She's wearing a dress so skimpy it's approximately the size of a tiny postage stamp.’
- ‘The walk will cover a distance of four miles taking approximately two hours to complete.’
- ‘In the end they held on, to go into the next round in approximately two weeks time.’
- ‘This was a result of a downpour of torrential rain which lasted approximately an hour and a half.’
- ‘The property is situated on approximately three quarters of an acre of mature garden.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.