Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used to show that something is almost, but not completely, accurate or exact; roughly:‘a journey of approximately two hours’
roughly, about, around, just about, round about, or so, or thereabouts, more or less, in the neighbourhood of, in the region of, in the area of, in the vicinity of, of the order of, something like, in round numbers, rounded down, rounded upnear to, close to, nearly, not far off, almost, approachinggetting on forcircapushing, as near as dammitin the ballpark ofnighView synonyms
- ‘The property is situated on approximately three quarters of an acre of mature garden.’
- ‘This was a result of a downpour of torrential rain which lasted approximately an hour and a half.’
- ‘She's wearing a dress so skimpy it's approximately the size of a tiny postage stamp.’
- ‘The walk will cover a distance of four miles taking approximately two hours to complete.’
- ‘In the end they held on, to go into the next round in approximately two weeks time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.