Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Showing or feeling approval of someone or something.‘the wine drew approving comments from across the table’
admiring, appreciative, appreciating, favourable, respectful, esteeming, commendatory, commending, applauding, acclamatory, acclaiming, praising, flattering, congratulatory, rapturousView synonyms
- ‘The most approving term he applies to his own work is "honest".’
- ‘He was obviously enjoying himself - at the end of every carol or lesson, he would turn to his wife and offer approving comments on the performances.’
- ‘Sam Adams is in the crowd and Johnny notices his approving look.’
- ‘Darcy gave his son an approving look.’
- ‘To approving nods, he recalled his record as mayor, as he does on almost every day of his campaign.’
- ‘Often a salesperson will demonstrate a feature and look to you for an approving response.’
- ‘He had even smiled in an approving way at her.’
- ‘Sections of the audience let out a disturbingly approving cheer.’
- ‘Right-of-center speakers invited by these clubs are drawing large and approving crowds.’
- ‘I don't have any doubt that my post-presidency has made some historians go back and look at the administration with a more benevolent and approving attitude.’
- ‘Published last year, this 172-page book carries an approving blurb from the dean of the Kellogg School of Management.’
- ‘It was a look that excited many approving glances, as Von Furstenberg dresses are must-have this season.’
- ‘At fifteen he was already winning the Academie Francaise's approving attention for his poems.’
- ‘Carnegie would surely have given an approving nod to the latest generation of philanthropists.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.