Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Showing or feeling approval of someone or something.‘the wine drew approving comments from across the table’
admiring, appreciative, appreciating, favourable, respectful, esteeming, commendatory, commending, applauding, acclamatory, acclaiming, praising, flattering, congratulatory, rapturousView synonyms
- ‘He had even smiled in an approving way at her.’
- ‘It was a look that excited many approving glances, as Von Furstenberg dresses are must-have this season.’
- ‘I don't have any doubt that my post-presidency has made some historians go back and look at the administration with a more benevolent and approving attitude.’
- ‘He was obviously enjoying himself - at the end of every carol or lesson, he would turn to his wife and offer approving comments on the performances.’
- ‘The most approving term he applies to his own work is "honest".’
- ‘Sam Adams is in the crowd and Johnny notices his approving look.’
- ‘At fifteen he was already winning the Academie Francaise's approving attention for his poems.’
- ‘Published last year, this 172-page book carries an approving blurb from the dean of the Kellogg School of Management.’
- ‘Sections of the audience let out a disturbingly approving cheer.’
- ‘To approving nods, he recalled his record as mayor, as he does on almost every day of his campaign.’
- ‘Darcy gave his son an approving look.’
- ‘Carnegie would surely have given an approving nod to the latest generation of philanthropists.’
- ‘Right-of-center speakers invited by these clubs are drawing large and approving crowds.’
- ‘Often a salesperson will demonstrate a feature and look to you for an approving response.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.