One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A residential institution for young offenders.
prison, penal institution, place of detention, lock-up, place of confinement, guardhouse, correctional facility, detention centreView synonyms
- ‘He goes back to the approved school that he thought he'd left behind forever, and he revisits the Malvern Hills where his love of the countryside was first inspired as a child.’
- ‘From approved school he graduated through detention centre to borstal, finally winding up in prison.’
- ‘He was involved in crime from an early age, being sent to approved schools and borstal before ending up prison.’
- ‘He eventually ended up going to an approved school.’
- ‘They had passed through probation, borstal, approved schools and prison.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.