One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘It's a code word for, I'm raising your taxes to increase the amount of money we have to spend here in Washington on new programs, on programs that meet a particular political desire of the appropriators.’
- ‘The appropriators in both Houses wield a tremendous amount of power over the make-up of the budget, and will fight like cornered animals when their territory is challenged.’
- ‘It's an ingenious hybrid where true believers provide the cannon fodder while an elite cabal of generals, arms merchants, land appropriators, oil prospectors and slave traders, muscle their way into the profits of war.’
- ‘Now, I'm not trying to pick on the appropriators.’
- ‘And appropriators will appropriate, particularly if you have a president who keeps driving that appropriations train.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.