Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being suitable or proper in the circumstances.‘some staff members question the appropriateness of this practice’‘activities are selected for their appropriateness to the day's weather’
- ‘I think the question of its appropriateness depends on how you view the role of the critic.’
- ‘This raises a more fundamental question about the appropriateness of opinion surveys in terms of determining what "should be."’
- ‘The student may report symptoms of a problem that alert the counselor to the appropriateness of a referral for further assessment.’
- ‘They are sparking a debate about the appropriateness of a military course of action.’
- ‘I wonder if you could briefly comment on the movie's appropriateness for young fans.’
- ‘They are particularly sensitive to interpersonal and situational specifications of behavioral appropriateness.’
- ‘The appropriateness of using survey data for drawing conclusions about computer and Internet use patterns needs to be verified.’
- ‘I'm not about to debate the appropriateness of the attitude.’
- ‘The appropriateness of traditional reward systems may be limited.’
- ‘There's a longer essay here on the appropriateness of this material for kids.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.