One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a manner that is suitable or proper in the circumstances.‘volunteers need to be approachable, calm, and able to respond appropriately’as submodifier ‘walls of raw concrete form a neutral yet appropriately rugged backdrop for the various objects’
- ‘Cases of abuse have been acknowledged, and apologies and compensation have been paid appropriately.’
- ‘I guess the opening scene sets the tone appropriately.’
- ‘The first episode was appropriately zippy and funny.’
- ‘They are expected to ensure that everyone complies with the law of the land and behaves appropriately.’
- ‘Fungicides are tools that need to be used appropriately to achieve the desired result.’
- ‘In an appropriately modernist account, the witnesses claimed that it was clearly propelled by some kind of European technology.’
- ‘Handel festivals with appropriately big choral and orchestral forces were held.’
- ‘Employees spent considerable time being coached to answer auditors' questions appropriately.’
- ‘Even the contact made with local government was inadequate to plan appropriately for operation and maintenance of the facility.’
- ‘In my opinion, the book is appropriately sized for an undergraduate course.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.