Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In a manner that is suitable or proper in the circumstances:‘volunteers need to be approachable, calm, and able to respond appropriately’[as submodifier] ‘walls of raw concrete form a neutral yet appropriately rugged backdrop for the various objects’
- ‘Even the contact made with local government was inadequate to plan appropriately for operation and maintenance of the facility.’
- ‘In an appropriately modernist account, the witnesses claimed that it was clearly propelled by some kind of European technology.’
- ‘Handel festivals with appropriately big choral and orchestral forces were held.’
- ‘Cases of abuse have been acknowledged, and apologies and compensation have been paid appropriately.’
- ‘I guess the opening scene sets the tone appropriately.’
- ‘They are expected to ensure that everyone complies with the law of the land and behaves appropriately.’
- ‘Fungicides are tools that need to be used appropriately to achieve the desired result.’
- ‘In my opinion, the book is appropriately sized for an undergraduate course.’
- ‘Employees spent considerable time being coached to answer auditors' questions appropriately.’
- ‘The first episode was appropriately zippy and funny.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.