One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a manner that is suitable or proper in the circumstances.‘volunteers need to be approachable, calm, and able to respond appropriately’as submodifier ‘walls of raw concrete form a neutral yet appropriately rugged backdrop for the various objects’
- ‘Fungicides are tools that need to be used appropriately to achieve the desired result.’
- ‘Even the contact made with local government was inadequate to plan appropriately for operation and maintenance of the facility.’
- ‘In an appropriately modernist account, the witnesses claimed that it was clearly propelled by some kind of European technology.’
- ‘Handel festivals with appropriately big choral and orchestral forces were held.’
- ‘The first episode was appropriately zippy and funny.’
- ‘Cases of abuse have been acknowledged, and apologies and compensation have been paid appropriately.’
- ‘In my opinion, the book is appropriately sized for an undergraduate course.’
- ‘I guess the opening scene sets the tone appropriately.’
- ‘Employees spent considerable time being coached to answer auditors' questions appropriately.’
- ‘They are expected to ensure that everyone complies with the law of the land and behaves appropriately.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.