One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In discussing the translation of his work, he was extremely approbatory.’
- ‘Some reviewers of my book took exception to the approbatory tone in which I described this popular religion.’
- ‘Perhaps someday it will return to Victoria's inner harbour and enlighten the city with approbatory friendly fire in greedy pursuit of our oil, gas, and fresh water.’
- ‘The special wine stored in Odysseus's palace against his return is described in approbatory fashion as ‘aged’; and the wine that Nestor brings out in honor of Telemachos is, we are told, 11 years old.’
- ‘Here, ‘diamond’ is approbatory, so the overall sense is ‘a good sort’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.