One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Though most of these meanings are admittedly not approbative, the first sense, ‘undiluted,’ may carry with it the suggestion of primal energy.’
- ‘The speaker, in choosing a pejorative term rather than an approbative term (say, ‘willowy’), manifests disapproval of ‘she.’’
- ‘Of these three kinds of ethics the third, the approbative, is the one held in situation ethics.’
- ‘If otherwise, it is vaguely approbative, with the implication, as to the work approved, of some pleasing archaeological reconstruction.’
- ‘If I were someone else, likely the first approbative thing I'd say is, ‘I really like his cooking.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.