One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘If I were someone else, likely the first approbative thing I'd say is, ‘I really like his cooking.’’
- ‘If otherwise, it is vaguely approbative, with the implication, as to the work approved, of some pleasing archaeological reconstruction.’
- ‘Though most of these meanings are admittedly not approbative, the first sense, ‘undiluted,’ may carry with it the suggestion of primal energy.’
- ‘Of these three kinds of ethics the third, the approbative, is the one held in situation ethics.’
- ‘The speaker, in choosing a pejorative term rather than an approbative term (say, ‘willowy’), manifests disapproval of ‘she.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.