Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘I'll respect and consider them, I'll be grateful, and I'll be sure to make an appreciatory reply.’
- ‘Monday came and went with no rushed assistant appearing at my cubicle, no complimentary front-row tickets, no appreciatory bouquet of flowers for a small but life-saving loan.’
- ‘She quickly flashed him an appreciatory grin, and walked over to one of the towering shelves stuffed with books.’
- ‘At the same time, governments have usually moved to stave off depreciatory, not appreciatory, speculation against their currencies.’
- ‘Today consumers love products that have appreciatory value -’ I might not own the mansion, but I can have the floor of the wealthy.’’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.