Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘On the basis of swimmer-observation by the coach and reliable psychological appraisement, the possibility of burnout/overtraining should be assessed early, and appropriate preventive actions taken.’
- ‘Isis looked over at her brother, who was looking at her with a mixture of appraisement and childish conceit.’
- ‘Part of this method of appraisement may include analysis by the party being assessed - namely students, whether they are traditional or nontraditional, or pharmacy practitioners.’
- ‘At present, expert appraisements for a change in civil status occur after surgery.’
- ‘Such notice, when published, need only state that the hearing will be for the purpose of confirming the report of the commissioners as to the appraisement of land taken for the use of the district.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.