Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Drilling undertaken to establish the quality, quantity, and other characteristics of oil or gas in a newly discovered field.
- ‘To enable the company to address these simultaneously, additional gas reserves would need to be proven in the Kudu gas field through seismic and appraisal drilling.’
- ‘The share price has begun to recover as the company has restarted appraisal drilling.’
- ‘The company will now acquire three-dimensional seismic data from the area and conduct appraisal drilling to obtain more details needed to formulate the field's development plan.’
- ‘Exploration and appraisal drilling is expected to jump by about 30% year on year, with rigs being pulled back to UK waters from overseas.’
- ‘The semi-submersible drilling rig the ‘Ocean Whittington’ has arrived in the Kudu Licence Area off the southern coast of Namibia, to commence appraisal drilling in the Kudu gas field.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.