One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of linguistics concerned with practical applications of language studies, for example language teaching, translation, and speech therapy.
- ‘The present paper illustrates the use of corpus-based analytical techniques to address a range of issues in applied linguistics.’
- ‘Two issues are addressed here: the scope of applied linguistics, and the social justice issue of police procedures for dealing with limited proficiency speakers of majority languages.’
- ‘As well as coping with the stress of the show, Tony has been juggling his university course, an MA in applied linguistics with a full-time job as an administrator at a London further education college.’
- ‘If applied linguists were to take these accounts more seriously, applied linguistics might contribute more directly to improving the human condition.’
- ‘It runs courses on theoretical and applied linguistics and holds research workshops.’
- ‘While negotiating for meaning has become extensively studied, negotiating as a speech event remains a curiously under researched area in applied linguistics.’
- ‘Since applied linguistics is concerned with language problems as experienced in the real world, it might appear that the two areas of enquiry in effect converge into one.’
- ‘She's earning her doctorate in German applied linguistics at Pennsylvania State University and taught English at Bellevue's City University.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.