Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of white wine) smelling or tasting of apples:‘a fresh, appley vinho verde’
- ‘Cheap and cheerful oaked viura makes a good mid-winter white with the sort of oomph and elegance that modern wine drinkers adore, complete with a surprisingly classy, appley, oaky, zesty palate.’
- ‘This one combines waxy, appley flavours with a hint of tropical fruit.’
- ‘In other words, ‘dump a bunch of apples and watch them get mangled into something tasty’ creates a delicious appley drink.’
- ‘A wonderful mousse of tiny bubbles and a delicious appley nose are complemented by a fine undertone of honey.’
- ‘This gorgeous white blends Argentina's own lime blossom-scented torrontes grape with appley chardonnay, delivering aniseedy flavours with grapey fruit.’
- ‘I've also been memorizing PLU numbers for every kind of apple we have at the store, so it's been very appley.’
- ‘It was described as light, crisp and appley, and the menu suggested it was good with fish, chicken or just by itself.’
- ‘Yet the demand for the rich, full-bodied, lemony, appley or peachy charms of this easy-going, easy-swigging grape continues.’
- ‘This has a crown seal (think beer bottle top), eliminating any chance of all that clean, appley fizz being spoilt.’
- ‘It's apples, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts and all your favorite appley Jewish things.’
- ‘That part of the carpet would always have a sweet appley scent to it.’
- ‘The zizyphus fruit grows to the size of a plum, has the crisp texture of an apple when fresh, and dried looks not unlike a date… but tastes appley, sweeter, less flaky… so they can be picked and eaten fresh, or left on the tree until dried.’
- ‘Contrary to popular opinion, top-drawer supermarket white burgundy does exist, so tuck into this generous, ripe, appley, nutty bottle, with oodles of soft, creamy fruit on the palate, and rejoice.’
- ‘More wine producers should combine the zesty greenness of sauvignon blanc with the appley richness of chardonnay.’
- ‘Prosecco, the light, appley crowd-pleasing bubbly of the Veneto region, is a step up from Spanish cava and an attractive value compared to champagne.’
- ‘This is appley and concentrated with notes of honey and lemon zest.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.