Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very small application, especially a utility program performing one or a few simple functions.‘there's a useful control applet which can be used to centre the picture’
- ‘If you want to take a screenshot of the applications you are evaluating, using the screenshot applet is straightforward.’
- ‘In addition to the usual mail and address book applets it has a voice note recorder and a scribbling application.’
- ‘Depending on your computer, certain applets already are placed on the panels, but several others may be added.’
- ‘Read the patent and you'll see it covers the use of embedded program objects, or applets within Web documents.’
- ‘He and his students worked both in labs and on the computer with various physics applets.’
1990s: blend of application and -let.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.