One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There was no apple-polishing, no flattering the Governor.’
- ‘Note that apple polishing can take subtle forms, for example, ‘Youre too intelligent to believe in mental telepathy.’’
- ‘And when a bunch of politicians and so-called academicians held such seminars praising the PM, you know that apple-polishing has gone to the extreme.’
- ‘Another way that is just as effective as apple-polishing is flattery, giving someone high praise, telling him how good he looks, or how well he speaks, or how wise he is.’
- ‘Through this formula, you can see that apple polishing establishes a faulty logical connection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.