Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an action, idea, or aim) deserving praise and commendation:‘the efforts by the students were applaudable’‘applaudable moral values’
- ‘Their generosity with a minimum of paperwork is applaudable.’
- ‘The applaudable philosophy is that flexibility is king.’
- ‘Excellent burgers, sides, beer, ambiance, energy level, desserts, service, crowd – everything is applaudable!’
- ‘Director Jo Ward maintained her faith in her cast and performances all round were applaudable as, indeed, was Jo's choice of play and her patience.’
- ‘However, while applaudable efforts have been recorded, there are still outstanding challenges that demand our concerted efforts to address with particular reference to rural development and human capital formation.’
- ‘She has apologised to her fans over the furore about her apparent decision to wear fur, branding their concern regarding animal pelts "fair and applaudable".’
- ‘It highlights the applaudable actions by the government in revoking 29 licenses to foreign super trawlers earlier this year, while exposing the urgency and the need for the establishment of sustainable fisheries policies in Senegal.’
- ‘Whatever happened to the applaudable moral values you upheld in the classic scathing satirical attack on corporate mentality and economic imperialism?’
- ‘All the same, having an applaudable body is something Berry is obviously aware of, and comfortable with.’
- ‘"I just hope that in our effort to clean up some of the worst practices we don't completely overreact and try and clamp down on perfectly normal and applaudable reporting," he said today.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.