Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A longing or desire.
longing, yearning, craving, desire, wish, need, hunger, thirst, urge, ache, itch, lust, burning, pining, appetite, passion, fancyView synonyms
- ‘So the presence of any object could be no inducement to sin, were there not a constitutional appetency or craving for sin.’
- ‘Those animals which are gifted with the most intelligence, whose appetencies and desires are the keenest, are the most likely to succeed in the struggle for existence.’
- ‘It is not true that sinners have a constitutional appetency and craving for sin.’
- ‘But he erroneously confounds appetency and volition together as the same functions of one power.’
- ‘Additionally, unaltered sexual appetence following orgasm was accompanied by unchanged concentrations of plasma prolactin in the case subject.’
- 1.1A natural tendency or affinity.
liking, penchant, partiality, preference, appetite, fancy, fondness, affection, loveView synonyms
- ‘Upon the whole, then, the great argument for literary endowments is founded on the want, or the weakness of the natural appetency for literature in our species.’
- ‘Rather phylogenetically, he proceeds from a survey of sensory modalities to mental powers of perception, intelligence, appetence, emotion, habit and instinct, ending with a general discussion of mental evolution.’
- ‘The company is distinguished by their quality, design and innovation, by offering in the market not only product, but also concepts, creating appetencies in the consumer.’
- ‘The human mind has a natural appetency for truth.’
Early 17th century: from Latin appetentia, from appetere seek after (see appetite).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.