One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The region of the hypothalamus of the brain which is believed to control a person's appetite for food.
- ‘This is because their appestat tells them to keep eating because the food in their diet lacks nutritional value.’
- ‘Just as a thermostat regulates the temperature in your house, the appestat regulates the appetite control.’
- ‘The entire regulatory apparatus is sometimes called the ‘appestat’ on the analogy of a thermostat, which regulates temperature.’
- ‘Your appestat is a control mechanism that has been fine-tuned for hundreds of generations.’
- ‘It is also thought by some authorities that bottle-fed babies are more likely to develop defective appestats than those that are breast-fed.’
1950s: from appetite, probably on the pattern of thermostat.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.