One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a limb or limbs.‘the appendicular skeleton’
- ‘Since muscle mass is appendicular, it seems reasonable to propose that the addition of a calf or upper leg girth would have strengthened the prediction equation.’
- ‘Scutes over the limbs are termed appendicular scutes, and scutes forming the ventral portion of the carapace are referred to as ventral scutes.’
- ‘The limbs and appendicular musculature of tetrapods are a further elaboration of the non-axial musculature.’
- ‘The somatic layer of the lateral plate gives rise to the appendicular skeleton and the connective tissue of the limbs and body wall.’
- ‘The appendicular skeleton is also dependent on the stability of the axial skeleton, upon which it operates.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin appendicula ‘small appendage’, diminutive of appendix, + -ar.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.