One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A serious medical condition in which the appendix becomes inflamed and painful.
- ‘The classic symptoms of appendicitis are abdominal pain, fever, loss of appetite, and vomiting.’
- ‘He is said to have extracted medicine from plants and treated diseases such as appendicitis, gout and arthritis.’
- ‘The appendix in man is medically important because of its propensity to become inflamed in the condition known as acute appendicitis.’
- ‘Kevin was beginning to fear that he had some sort of rare, strange disease, like appendicitis or kidney stones, or maybe stomach ulcers.’
- ‘Laxative use can be dangerous if constipation is caused by a serious condition such as appendicitis or a bowel obstruction.’
- ‘Both times I was in the surgical ward along with patients with relatively minor problems like haemorrhoids or appendicitis.’
- ‘The symptoms of appendicitis can vary according to your child's age.’
- ‘For this reason, it may cover up the signs of overdose caused by other medicines or the symptoms of appendicitis.’
- ‘Its altered position would make symptoms of appendicitis difficult to determine in the future.’
- ‘Sometimes these symptoms are mistaken for the flu or appendicitis.’
- ‘The clinical presentation in all 7 cases was an acute abdomen with florid acute appendicitis.’
- ‘The pain is generally present without any palpation; for example, the painful abdomen associated with appendicitis.’
- ‘This attitude results in early appendectomy in patients with clinical symptoms of appendicitis.’
- ‘The initiating signal for this and all other forms of clinical appendicitis still remains elusive.’
- ‘The symptoms of appendicitis can vary, but they usually start with a pain in the middle of the abdomen, around the tummy button, that comes and goes.’
- ‘Well we've been talking about the waxing and waning of asthma and appendicitis.’
- ‘An elevated white blood cell count has a low predictive value for appendicitis because it is present in a number of conditions.’
- ‘Already some smaller district hospitals are refusing to operate on children suffering from common conditions such as appendicitis.’
- ‘A hospital spokesman said that appendicitis was a common condition but to have two cases in the same family in such a short time was rare.’
- ‘A clinical diagnosis of acute appendicitis was made, and the patient was operated on the same day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.