One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an author) have one's work published.‘at the present time it is very easy for academics to appear in print’
- ‘In fact his first publication appeared in print in the year he graduated, being a paper on quantum theory.’
- ‘Watching as the tragedy unfolded was the Pequot William Apess, the author of the first published Native American autobiography, which appeared in print in 1829.’
- ‘One article about Hunt's evidence did appear in print and was published in March 1998.’
- ‘His account of the discovery was sent to the publishers in 1775, but took two years to appear in print.’
- ‘But Finkel's article, despite its glaring problem, may have provided the most accurate sense of life on the cocoa plantations in the Ivory Coast that has yet to appear in print.’
- ‘Carl Neumann prepared his father's lectures for publication in 1895 but they never appeared in print.’
- ‘Kronecker never published the theorem and it was Castelnuovo's version which appeared in print.’
- ‘Some of her songs were published under her brother's name in his opp. 8 and 9, and a few isolated pieces appeared in print under her own name before she published her op. 1 in 1846.’
- ‘As a subject developed he would write a paper on it including material, it may be, from different folders, but destroying the final draft and typescript after the paper appeared in print.’
- ‘Newton's ‘method of fluxions’ was written in 1671 but Newton failed to get it published and it did not appear in print until John Colson produced an English translation in 1736.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.