One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Clothing.‘they were dressed in bright apparel’
clothes, clothing, garments, dress, attire, wear, garb, wardrobeView synonyms
- ‘The company now sells everything from yoga apparel to hockey gear to golf equipment.’
- ‘If you're looking for the ultimate power apparel, start with the yellow jersey.’
- ‘This is a site for those who like to wear loud golf apparel.’
- ‘He was wearing his training apparel as well but his sword was secured behind his back.’
- ‘Thus, it is advisable for riders to wear motorcycle apparel to protect and comfort them.’
- ‘Many were even dressed in camouflaged military apparel with masks over their faces.’
- ‘Yet another reason to avoid wearing skintight apparel is its lack of sex appeal.’
- ‘Colin's long hair was slicked back and he was dressed in semi-formal apparel.’
- ‘If you look at apparel, women are wearing more delicate colors, and pastels go along with the retro movements.’
- ‘Trust Jane to wear totally inappropriate apparel for a stealth mission such as this.’
- ‘Heavier weights for rugged apparel and outdoor gear include pack cloth and ballistic nylons.’
- ‘Skins were shipped overseas and worked into wallets, boots, jackets, and other apparel.’
- ‘In Mexico, other shrinking sectors include shoes, tires, apparel and auto parts.’
- ‘The market for sports shoes and apparel in China last year was worth some $3 billion.’
- ‘The thread is then used by knitting mills to produce fabrics, which would in turn be used by the garment industry to produce apparel.’
- ‘There are so many choices for lounge wear and intimate apparel.’
- ‘Riders not only wear helmets, vests and other usual biker apparel but they also wear these tattoos and piercing.’
- ‘The thought of his roommate wearing such apparel sent blood rushing to his cheeks.’
- ‘Lambskin is a soft and supple leather generally used for jackets, pants and other fashion apparel.’
- ‘Board members and clients meet at a table surrounded with examples of basketball shoes and other apparel.’
- 1.1apparels Embroidered ornamentation on ecclesiastical vestments.
- ‘My guess is that the apparels on the amice and alb are a hangover from more ornate times.’
- ‘He connects the apparels on the wrists 'with a miraculous legend of St. Martin.’
Clothe (someone)‘all the vestments in which they used to apparel their Deities’
equip, kit out, fit out, fit up, rig out, supply, issue, furnish with, provide, provision, stock, armView synonyms
- ‘He apparelled him after the Country manner, and gave him a Cryse of Hounour.’
- ‘Now, in his fantasy, he apparelled her like a man; and presently despoiling her of that habit, he gave her another of a nymph; which he took away also, to attire her with the ornaments and majesty of a queen; not leaving any raiment but he gave it unto her, either to make her wise or to make her a vaunting fool; and generally he imagined her to be grave, merry, discreet, subtle and virtuous, which parts are ill-befitting a fair comedian.’
- ‘And he said to his Ministers, Ascend, and bring me the child, for I will examine him, and know the Prophet's meaning, and he apparelled him richly, and gave him much, but he prevailed not.’
Middle English (as a verb in the sense ‘make ready or fit’; as a noun ‘furnishings, equipment’): from Old French apareillier, based on Latin ad- ‘to’ (expressing change) + par ‘equal’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.