One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A horse of a North American breed having dark spots on a light background.
- ‘I have a newfound respect for the Arabian breed, but was proud to see several Appaloosas, Quarter Horses, and even a few mules competing.’
- ‘The first 28 days will feature Quarter Horses, Appaloosas, and Paints.’
- ‘No live racing has taken place at the track since 2001, but the tribe wants to hold live racing for Thoroughbreds, Quarter Horses, Appaloosas, and Paints.’
- ‘They wanted to standardize the characteristics of the breed and promote Appaloosas.’
- ‘The Appaloosa charged up the path with me tucked down close to his mane.’
1920s: from Opelousas in Louisiana, or Palouse, a river in Idaho.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.