Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mountain system of eastern North America, stretching from Quebec and Maine in the North to Georgia and Alabama in the South. Its highest peak is Mount Mitchell in North Carolina, which rises to 2,037 m (6,684 ft).
- ‘The collision between Gondwana and Laurasia led to the formation of the Appalachian belt in North America and the Hercynian Mountains in Europe.’
- ‘Brook trout are found as far south as Georgia in the Appalachian mountain range and extend north all the way to Hudson Bay.’
- ‘His plan was an ambitious trek of the Appalachian ranges from Georgia to Maine during the summer vacation.’
- ‘West Virginia is home to some of the richest mineral resources in the Appalachian mountain chain.’
- ‘Farmers dismantled wagons, hid horses, drove livestock hundreds of miles, in some cases over the Appalachian and Alleghany mountains, all to avoid their being confiscated in forced sales by government officials.’
- ‘They also demarcate the special climates formed by the Great Lakes and by the Appalachian mountain ranges.’
- ‘They overlap and hybridize along an extensive zone that runs from southern Connecticut, across the Hudson Valley, and then along the eastern front of the Appalachian and Blue Ridge Mountains.’
- ‘The closure of the commons in southwestern Virginia Blue Ridge counties, and perhaps in other Appalachian mountain counties, followed a very different path from that of much of the South.’
- ‘Faced with news that its wind turbines were killing thousands of bats at two wind farms on Appalachian mountain ridgelines, the nation's largest wind power company reacted quickly.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.