Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An application, especially as downloaded by a user to a mobile device:‘I've just installed the app on my phone’
- ‘So today I'm catching up with the lost hours from yesterday and reinstalling my favourite apps on my reborn PC.’
- ‘I feel it's a very useful conceptual position that makes the future of web apps much more evident.’
- ‘This reset will keep all apps inactive until you manually start them after the reset is complete.’
- ‘Some internet apps are working fine, others are dead in the water.’
- ‘That is, to quit the third and fourth frontmost apps, hold down Alt and hit Tab, Tab, Q, Tab, Q.’
- ‘I'm downloading various apps and wallpaper for it on my work machine and transferring them via a flash drive.’
- ‘Double-click on the map to mark waypoints, and the app tells you the total distance defined by the waypoints.’
- ‘Basically third-party apps fall into one of two categories, useful or cool, and some things are both.’
- ‘Also, the banner slot at the bottom was refusing to budge, proudly displaying an ad telling me to use the app that was displaying it.’
- ‘Well I quit all apps, and restarted them, had no real effect, but a system restart seemed to pick up the user profile changes.’
- ‘It was a very, very bad app, but it was the first app I ever built.’
- ‘If you've never heard of it, it's a simple app that puts the current time into natural language.’
- ‘I do hope I won't have to start running a spam-eating app on my weblog's comments!’
- ‘Thus I have added another field to the Settings sheet of my blogger app and a little code to support it.’
- ‘Geeks store what they do in text and spurn big apps, using plain text editors.’
- ‘They want Web sites to respond as fast as the apps do on their new gigahertz computers.’
- ‘I was also running about ten other apps at the same time, and it went off without a hitch.’
- ‘I've been trying to come up with ways to construct the app myself and D talked about.’
- ‘I can almost consider it as research into the current state of the art of web apps.’
- ‘Consider creating a new user account on your computer with none of your familiar apps or configurations.’
2informal An application or application form:‘Ezra's helping her with her college apps’‘don't waste your time filling out online job apps’
An appetizer:‘have you tried the fennel salad app?’‘I will be making these eggs as one of my apps for my Mother's Day dinner’
- ‘Their nachos stand out on the apps menu.’
- ‘The Vietnamese lettuce wrap is a leading chicken app.’
- ‘The grilled habanero chicken quesadilla leads the apps list.’
- ‘After all, how could the judges compare apps and entrees to desserts?’
- ‘It's not such a happening spot anymore, but you can get some cool apps there.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.