Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Address an exclamatory passage in a speech or poem to (someone or something)‘it isn't just any poet who could apostrophize his clapped-out van’
- ‘This apostrophises the palm tree as the source of nourishment, and something to be worshipped possibly a symbol for the Mother of God herself, but in any case further evidence of the earth ‘coming to the aid of the child’.’
- ‘Moreover, there are no examples of collectives being apostrophized with the regularity that this personification receives.’
- ‘In lyrics, I would claim, this possibility of address reveals a fundamental structure - whether the poem actually apostrophizes anyone or anything.’
- ‘Both frequently apostrophize unidentified addressees, and both manipulate pronouns in intriguing ways, but his lyrics imply mundane, domestic situations.’
- ‘Lucy apostrophizes the elements as her demonic foe.’
2Punctuate (a word) with an apostrophe.‘pupils claimed that had been taught to apostrophize plurals’
add punctuation to, put punctuation marks in, dotView synonyms
- ‘I didn't apostrophize my plurals in my post.’
- ‘Personally I think there is a case for omitting the apostrophe when the word which might be apostrophised describes, either on its own or as part of a compound adjective, what sort of noun it is, rather than who it belongs to.’
- ‘I hate when I apostrophize words incorrectly and there is no edit feature.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.