One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Address an exclamatory passage in a speech or poem to (someone or something)‘it isn't just any poet who could apostrophize his clapped-out van’
- ‘Moreover, there are no examples of collectives being apostrophized with the regularity that this personification receives.’
- ‘In lyrics, I would claim, this possibility of address reveals a fundamental structure - whether the poem actually apostrophizes anyone or anything.’
- ‘Lucy apostrophizes the elements as her demonic foe.’
- ‘This apostrophises the palm tree as the source of nourishment, and something to be worshipped possibly a symbol for the Mother of God herself, but in any case further evidence of the earth ‘coming to the aid of the child’.’
- ‘Both frequently apostrophize unidentified addressees, and both manipulate pronouns in intriguing ways, but his lyrics imply mundane, domestic situations.’
2Punctuate (a word) with an apostrophe.‘pupils claimed that had been taught to apostrophize plurals’
add punctuation to, put punctuation marks in, dotView synonyms
- ‘Personally I think there is a case for omitting the apostrophe when the word which might be apostrophised describes, either on its own or as part of a compound adjective, what sort of noun it is, rather than who it belongs to.’
- ‘I hate when I apostrophize words incorrectly and there is no edit feature.’
- ‘I didn't apostrophize my plurals in my post.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.