Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The death of cells which occurs as a normal and controlled part of an organism's growth or development.Also called programmed cell death
- ‘Radioiodine can cause significant apoptosis and mitotic cell death in the thyroid tissue.’
- ‘Programmed cell death by apoptosis plays a key role in molding the form of chick and mammalian limbs, especially the digits.’
- ‘In addition, the signals that lead a cell to necrosis or apoptosis remain to be elucidated.’
- ‘The role of macrophage apoptosis in containing the growth of the bacilli is also discussed.’
- ‘We have reported that turmeric also activates the lymphocytes and induces apoptosis to tumor cells.’
1970s: from Greek apoptōsis falling off, from apo from + ptōsis falling, a fall.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.