One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white crystalline compound used as an emetic and in the treatment of parkinsonism.
A morphine derivative; chemical formula: C₁₇H₁₇NO₂
- ‘A fourth drug, apomorphine, comes as a tablet to be dissolved under the tongue.’
- ‘Likewise, the threshold-altering effects of another compound, apomorphine, a direct dopamine agonist, appear to be more related to the delivery protocol than a specific drug-elicited inhibition.’
- ‘Ipecac or apomorphine should be avoided since seizures or decreased mental status may occur rapidly, increasing the risk for aspiration.’
- ‘Apokyn was given priority review because injectable apomorphine is the first therapy approved to treat these episodes acutely (during the episode).’
- ‘A team of Canadian scientists gave either an active drug, apomorphine, or a dummy drug to a group of six Parkinson's patients.’
- ‘The first dopamine-receptor drug that we tested was apomorphine, which interacts with all classes of dopamine receptors in a fashion similar to dopamine itself.’
- ‘Either ipecac or apomorphine is indicated unless the patient is comatose, seizing, and/or has lost the gag reflex.’
- ‘‘When exposed to apomorphine, the fish swam almost twice as fast,’ she says.’
- ‘Inspiratory muscle strength improves during an infusion of apomorphine, a direct stimulant of dopamine receptors, suggesting that inspiratory muscle weakness results from impaired neural drive to the muscles.’
- ‘The prescribing of apomorphine injection is restricted to Neurology.’
- ‘Medications that stimulate dopamine, such as apomorphine [Uprima], are being researched for treatment of sexual dysfunction in both men and women.’
- ‘Nausea induced by apomorphine as the aversive stimulus was reported less often (four participants in the early 1960s).’
- ‘Nine patients with severe restless legs syndrome were pretreated with domperidone for three days to mitigate side effects of apomorphine, which was given as an intravenous infusion.’
- ‘No differences were found between the two groups in the proportion of patients taking anticholinergics, dopamine agonists, or apomorphine, nor in the average number of different types of drugs prescribed for Parkinson's disease.’
- ‘Also, stereotypical behaviour and circling movement induced by apomorphine was suppressed.’
- ‘If Viagra fails, it may be useful to try apomorphine.’
- ‘The structural elements of apomorphine resemble those of dopamine, and it is not surprising that the effects of apomorphine are similar to those of dopamine and involve direct stimulation of dopamine receptors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.