Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting multicellular glands which release some of their cytoplasm in their secretions, especially the sweat glands associated with hair follicles in the armpits and pubic regions.Compare with eccrine
- ‘The smell is made by the bacteria that feed on this sweat, which comes from the apocrine glands in the armpits and groin area.’
- ‘Around puberty, our apocrine glands kick into action, releasing thick secretions into hair follicles.’
- ‘Or maybe you should just consult a physician to get your eccrine and apocrine glands examined.’
- ‘For example, tumors may show follicular, eccrine, sebaceous, or apocrine differentiation.’
- ‘The human body contains two types of sweat glands - apocrine and eccrine.’
Early 20th century: from apo- + Greek krinein to separate.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.