One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I felt a rush of jitters, my arms swung apishly like pendulums and my legs seemed disconnected, lumbering stilts.’
- ‘Legs hooked over the board, he hangs apishly, body massively contracted, even his extremities.’
- ‘We were visionary idealists, purposefully choosing to pursue a lifestyle that did not apishly conform to culture.’
- ‘Equally unsettling was the frequency with which Jeremy - middle-aged, fat and apishly hairy - removed his consistently ill-fitting shirt.’
- ‘At regular intervals, backbenchers apishly banged their desks to salute their leader or, in response to their opponents, broke into bursts of sarcastic laughter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.