One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Resembling or likened to an ape.‘Australopithecus had an apish cranium’
- ‘Lately, he has taken to apish chest-thumping in proclaiming that various individuals are ‘ducking’ and ‘backing down’ from him.’
- ‘Compared to our apish ancestors, which could run only short distances, we have a more balanced head, flatter face, and smaller teeth and nose.’
- ‘But why did women - and men, for that matter - lose the apish fur that covered most of our bodies to begin with?’
2Foolish or silly.
- ‘In truth, he had suspected all his subordinates were just as apish as each other.’
- ‘But the plot and its apish qualities ultimately aren't very important.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.