One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Omission of the initial sound of a word, as when he is is pronounced he's.
leaving out, exclusion, exception, non-inclusion, deletion, erasure, cut, excision, elimination, absenceView synonyms
- ‘In some words initial e has been lost by aphaeresis: squire from esquire, sample from example, state from estate.’
- ‘When the indefinite article was being restored to its separate existence, the word ‘atomy’ was falsely coined from ‘anatomy’ through aphaeresis, by the removal of the supposed indefinite article.’
A technique by which a particular substance or component is removed from the blood, the main volume being returned to the body.
- ‘Now, Becky donates just platelets and plasma via a process called apheresis.’
- ‘Platelets collected by apheresis were counted as single units.’
- ‘Removing blood stem cells from your blood during apheresis doesn't hurt.’
- ‘Since most of the patients are not eligible for allogenic transplantation, autologous bone marrow or more increasingly mobilized peripheric blood stem cells obtained by apheresis are used for grafting.’
- ‘Another method used for separating out some of the components of blood consists of a technique known as apheresis.’
Mid 16th century: via late Latin from Greek aphairesis, from aphairein ‘take away’, from apo ‘from’ + hairein ‘take’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.