Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘In many ammonites the terminal body chamber is relatively large, inflated, and with a constricted aperture or apertural appendages.’
- ‘Aperture is a simple opening in the center of the apertural face.’
- ‘The two species differ in the ornamentation of the apertural margin.’
- ‘In summary, based mainly on its apertural features, the following new species is questionably assigned to genus Ringicula.’
- ‘Thus, the presence or absence of an apertural slit does not necessarily have significance for high-level taxonomy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.