One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Australia and New Zealand) the day on which the Anzac landing at Gallipoli in 1915 is annually commemorated, 25 April.
- ‘Soldiers will have the chance to stand on the hallowed grounds of Gallipoli this Anzac Day by winning an essay competition.’
- ‘I had come, I told him, to wander around Turkey and then to attend the Anzac Day commemorations in Gallipoli.’
- ‘Community members, young and old, braved an early morning rise to help commemorate Anzac Day in Geraldton yesterday.’
- ‘Two years ago, 15,000 people attended the Anzac Day service at Ari Burnu near the original Australian landing.’
- ‘Each Anzac Day these children place poppies on the graves of the allied soldiers.’
- ‘Reminiscing: former army reserves captain Lou Reid commemorated Anzac Day in Geraldton.’
- ‘Five years ago retired seaman, Bill Langlois, led the official Anzac Day march through Sydney's CBD.’
- ‘So high was the toll of death and injury that Anzac Day is still a public holiday in Australia and New Zealand.’
- ‘Today Australia celebrates the Anzac Day, our equivalent of Remembrance Day.’
- ‘The march will proceed down Molesworth Street to the cenotaph for the commemorative Anzac Day service.’
- ‘This Anzac Day, it is important that we also think of those Australians who continue to follow in the footsteps of the original Anzacs.’
- ‘Another Anzac Day has passed, but lest we forget will be with us throughout the year.’
- ‘The court case was brought forward to the Friday before the Anzac Day weekend.’
- ‘It is commemorated on Anzac Day and in war memorials.’
- ‘Increasingly Anzac Day was regarded as an appropriate day on which to debate defence and war related issues.’
- ‘As Anzac Day dawns this year, it might be time for a new pledge.’
- ‘A reminder that double demerit points continue on the roads over the Anzac Day weekend.’
- ‘On Anzac Day, Gordon was joined by his six sons, who watched an emotional service in Lismore, along with a large crowd.’
- ‘Probably the most significant national secular celebration is Anzac Day on 25 April.’
- ‘On Anzac Day we commemorated the sacrifices made by our veterans.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.