Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In a manner resulting from or revealing anxiety.‘we are all waiting anxiously for any news’
- ‘These letters reveal the eager young composer fretting anxiously over arrangements.’
- ‘A formless dread seems to be working anxiously within him.’
- ‘He sits quietly, anxiously waiting for me to begin my questions.’
- ‘Meanwhile, he is wide awake, anxiously pacing about his garden.’
- ‘Workers waited anxiously for news about whether they would have to forgo their paychecks.’
- ‘Anxiously searching for their own identity, adolescents wish to find their answer to the question, "Who am I?"’
- ‘I am anxiously awaiting the release of the next volume.’
- ‘I had been anxiously awaiting this DVD for some time, based on TV spots I had seen.’
- ‘We are anxiously awaiting the results from your studies as we continue to conduct our own.’
- ‘Thereafter she always inquired anxiously about the health of her students.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.