Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tailless amphibian of the order Anura; a frog or toad.
- ‘We were able to compare our results with those of an earlier model of anuran breeding behavior.’
- ‘For example anuran tadpoles cannot disperse from their natal pond during development.’
- ‘The larva probably possessed the scraping mouth parts and the branchial filter seen in most extant anuran larvae, and likewise probably also pumped water rhythmically.’
- ‘From 1996 to 1998, I collected tadpoles of 13 anuran species from eastern North America.’
- ‘This is unfortunate because the skeletal reorganization experienced by anurans during metamorphosis is unparalleled among vertebrates.’
Relating to or denoting anurans.
- ‘As in other vertebrates, the anuran auditory system is susceptible to noise masking.’
- ‘Most of the anuran saccular volume is filled with a viscous suspension of calcium carbonate crystals.’
- ‘Little information exists on rates of lymph flow through the anuran lymphatic system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.