Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of strong, light nylon fibre used chiefly in making carpets and upholstery.
- ‘Carpets of Antron ® are made exclusively with type 6,6 nylon.’
- ‘In those cases, carpets of Antron ® are cost-effective, as they continue to look and wear well, longer than carpets of other fiber systems.’
- ‘To introduce the site - which offers 11 in-stock materials, including generic nylons, Cordura [R] nylons, Antron [R] nylons and microfiber activewear fabrics - 3,000 invitations were sent to Tapetex customers and potential customers.’
- ‘One advantage of choosing a carpet made with Antron ® nylon fiber is that the fiber allows for a wider range of color choices, says Ryan.’
- ‘Because carpets of Antron ® resist dirt better than other fibers, cleaning costs over the life of the carpet typically are significantly lower.’
1960s: an invented name.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.