Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A type of strong, light nylon fibre used chiefly in making carpets and upholstery.
- ‘To introduce the site - which offers 11 in-stock materials, including generic nylons, Cordura [R] nylons, Antron [R] nylons and microfiber activewear fabrics - 3,000 invitations were sent to Tapetex customers and potential customers.’
- ‘Because carpets of Antron ® resist dirt better than other fibers, cleaning costs over the life of the carpet typically are significantly lower.’
- ‘One advantage of choosing a carpet made with Antron ® nylon fiber is that the fiber allows for a wider range of color choices, says Ryan.’
- ‘In those cases, carpets of Antron ® are cost-effective, as they continue to look and wear well, longer than carpets of other fiber systems.’
- ‘Carpets of Antron ® are made exclusively with type 6,6 nylon.’
1960s: an invented name.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.