Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Surgical removal of the walls of an antrum, especially the antrum of the stomach.
- ‘A vagotomy is usually done in conjunction with an antrectomy.’
- ‘For duodenal ulcers, antrectomy may be combined with other surgical procedures that are aimed at reducing the secretion of gastric acid, which is associated with ulcer formation.’
- ‘For this reason, we wanted to demonstrate, experimentally in the rat, differences in the mucous of the gastric remanent after an antrectomy.’
- ‘You also recall the doctor telling you and your husband in a December, 1989, conversation that your husband's problems were ‘abnormal results’ from the vagotomy and antrectomy surgery?’
- ‘In less advanced cases, the use of hemostatic drugs or endoscopic laser coagulation may be effective, but in advanced cases with severe hemorrhage, antrectomy may be required.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.