One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The intention has not been to define or discriminate them, but to arrange them in synonymous and antonymous groups; it serves as both a word-finder and a prompter of the memory regarding words one knows but could not recall to mind.’
- ‘I am conducting a questionnaire survey whose goal is to seek out differences in grammatical behaviour within pairs of antonymous property words.’
- ‘Antonymous pairs have previously been described and categorized in terms of gradability, reciprocity, inverseness and so on.’
- ‘We pick up the occasional word - ‘ethical… responsible… trustworthy’ - and we sense that Bill is compiling an antonymous description of the young man.’
- ‘So whatever is meant by absolutism is antonymous to relativism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.