One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘We pick up the occasional word - ‘ethical… responsible… trustworthy’ - and we sense that Bill is compiling an antonymous description of the young man.’
- ‘The intention has not been to define or discriminate them, but to arrange them in synonymous and antonymous groups; it serves as both a word-finder and a prompter of the memory regarding words one knows but could not recall to mind.’
- ‘So whatever is meant by absolutism is antonymous to relativism.’
- ‘I am conducting a questionnaire survey whose goal is to seek out differences in grammatical behaviour within pairs of antonymous property words.’
- ‘Antonymous pairs have previously been described and categorized in terms of gradability, reciprocity, inverseness and so on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.