Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of a drug or treatment) effective against viruses.
- ‘Harms of antiviral treatment may include drug hypersensitivity and renal impairment.’
- ‘Ideally, patients should hold a stock of antiviral drugs for self treatment.’
- ‘An urgent need exists for effective antiviral drugs to prevent and treat SARS.’
- ‘Specific antiviral treatment has been effective in improving the survival of the patients.’
- ‘For infections caused by the chickenpox or herpes viruses, antiviral drugs may be prescribed if the infection is caught early.’
(of software) designed to detect, remove, or offer protection against computer viruses.
- ‘Antiviral software cannot possibly keep up.’
- ‘Like the antiviral programs, they will always be reacting to the last exploit, not anticipating the next.’
- ‘Users are advised not to open suspicious attachments and to update their antiviral signatures to block the virus.’
- ‘Antiviral products cannot recognize and deter new viruses.’
- ‘Likewise your anti-viral and anti-malware programs will also download little updates on your behalf.’
An antiviral drug or medicine.
- ‘And if it is, what they can do is that they they can't give you an antiviral for this.’
- ‘Hence a natural anti-viral produced by a plant to defend itself can also be used by a human as an anti-viral.’
- ‘The beauty of EBM is that it ignores mechanisms and looks at the bottom line: does the antiviral reduce the duration of illness?’
- ‘We were talking about it in our meeting this morning, the growing of a virus and trying to make an antiviral and all of that.’
- ‘An antiviral is something one takes after you've already become sick.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.